Are you being a success, or talking about it?
In this era of having a personal brand and narrative, it’s sometimes hard to differentiate between real success and leadership vs. promotion and copy.
Now, I am a big fan of putting yourself out there and promoting great work. However the key word in the sentence is work. When it comes down to it, you want to be famous for your work, the tangible that you have created from the thoughts in your head. The words on the page vs. the ideas in your head.
Walk it out
Don’t get me wrong, I love to think out loud and talk through solutions, but everyday I have to check myself and ask;
- What is the output and result I am aiming for?
- What is the end goal?
- Am I a talker or a walker?
Do or Do Not. There is no try – Yoda
There is a big difference between ‘impressing people’ vs. ‘being impressive’, and ‘having authority’ vs. ‘being an authority’. One is based on the work that you have actually done, the other is the based on the recognition from others. (whether or not the work has been done) 🙂
We all know that recognition and platform can be built from almost nothing. With enough effort, you can create an identity for yourself online with a great website and 24/7 social media engagement.
But that is not enough for true leadership and success…
- Speaking about a topic does not make you a doer of that topic, it makes you a speaker.
- Tweeting about an issue does not mean you are helping solve the issue, it means that you are a tweeter.
- Commenting on Facebook means that you are a commentator.
- Speaking about leadership does not make you a leader.
- Talking about a business idea makes you a talker, not an entrepreneur.
You get my drift…
Leadership and the Art of Doing
Once you start measuring your success by the doing, and start focusing on the ‘doing’ rather than the ‘being’ or the ‘telling’, than you will be creating a work product for others that is tangible and cannot be taken away or stolen from you.
- Beyonce doesn’t talk about music and entertainment, she records and releases an album and goes on tour.
- Strategists don’t just talk about strategy or ‘being strategic’, they create strategy that is applied.
- Writers don’t just talk about their writing, they write the book, article or journal.
- Leaders don’t just discuss leadership, they inspire and move people to action.
And if you look closely, those who are at the top of their game, have very little time to actually talk about their work before its complete, they simply let their work product speak for itself.
So where are you putting your ‘ing’?
This week, pay attention to where you are focusing your energy ‘ your ing’ and that is where your efforts will produce fruit. Focus your energy on doing you, your purpose, your goals. Because whatever you attach your ‘ing ‘to, that is where your success will be.
Questions that I ask myself…
What are you creating today?
What is the visible product of your work?